Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Wisdom

I had taken the VW Passat in for its usual maintenance, and was sitting in the waiting room, writing on a large legal pad, while all around me, people were using lap tops and blackberries and iPhones. They were talking in the intense tones of youth when everything is rather critical. So in the 2 hours I sit there, I had a number of old types come up and ask me: are you a priest? are you a rabbi? are you an imam? I sensed that had I only been in a bar, there would have been a good joke in this. I am now going to writes some good lines to have at the ready when asked these questions in the future; something wise and profound. I don't know whether I shall make it simple and clear, or abstruse and obscure. This wisdom thing could be a good wheeze to run for a while.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Were the questions of the old types prompted by your appearance of sanctity? of wisdom? By your long beard? IMWTK.

Meanwhile, I would have taken you for a quaint throwback. Actually using a writing implement on paper, and legal-sized tablet at that! I date myself when I tell you that my dissertation draft HAD TO BE in fountain pen ink (blue-black) on yellow legal pad paper. Otherwise, the universe would have been out of order and the muses on vacation.

Montag said...

Well, I think it was (1) longish beard, (2)sweater vest with zip up collar, (3) and distributing loaves and fishes while I waited.

I have always wanted to be a beatiful "person"...and I'm always just a "parson".