Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Learning

I really never expected to be learning so much in the later part of my life. I suppose most people feel that way: most of the stuff they know was accumulated early on, like money, and then they sit back and live off the interest.

Well, it's not working out that way for a lot of us: not with respect to learning and not with respect to the metaphor of money. It just isn't working out that way.

I think I have learned more in the past few years than I ever did before. I have learned important things about the human condition and religion and hope and despair.
I sometimes think it is as if I were a Camel and I approach the fountain of Wisdom: it is best to drink a good amount because I think I will be on a long desert journey soon.
I shall not be alone on that journey.
Drink up.

--

6 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

I am glad you will not be alone on the journey.

We are all more connected than we ever knew in days of yore, it seems to me.

Ben said...

I think I too have been learning a lot about the human condition. I think I realize now that most people in the world experience the same emotions - love, happiness, joy, but also anger, loneliness, fear, etc. Whenever I read a book and these emotions are there on the page before me, you realize: this author has experienced these emotions. So have I. So have all the people in the world, no matter who they are, to a certain degree. Such a universality allows for the opening of compassion and reaching out to others...and looking past the personal idiosyncrasies and minor differences and flaws. I believe so, anyway.

I'll try and post more often too. :)

Ben

Montag said...

Signs,

We certainly are.
As I write that, I think of you yourself. How strange to think that I can be moved by the life of one so far away.

Montag said...

Ben,

We all certainly do experience the same things.

I think my "original" thought - the first thought on my own, not a re-hash of what I heard and was taught - was to deny that my friends, who were not of the same religion as I, were equal in the sight of God.

This put me at variance with the prevailing winds in my religion, but it freed me to be able to approach God myself... and do it through my connection to other people.

Reading the Signs said...

Thank you, Montag x

Montag said...

Correction:
my original was to deny that my friends were NOT equal in the sight of God, etc.
Big difference.