Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Buddhist Expectations

I was talking to a friend about Buddhism. He is an associate, actually, though not really an associate. More like like an acquaintance from the dawn of history. (Not a friend, surely. What I mean to say is that I tried friendship once. It didn't work!)

So I said something about meditation as being one part of the eightfold path. So he brightens up and says that he has been meaning to pay a return visit to some monastery in upstate New York where he once spent a week or so. He still has his begging bowl as a memento. In fact, he wished to go strongly and would soon make plans. I asked him what it is that is doing the wishing.

There is a lot of paradox here based more on the metaphysics rather than ethical or religious notions. However, this one had never, ever, ever uttered a word more profund in his long life. Nor did the one who heard it understand it. THIS I will meditate on.

--

No comments: