Search This Blog

Friday, December 22, 2006

That Old Rugged Scratch & Win Cross

Symbols stand in place of something; they are not the thing itself. They are but pointers leading our attention elsewhere.
The cross, in itself, is nothing much. As a symbol, it has a great deal of meaning. Jesus is Jesus and the cross is the cross. The cross points to Jesus, and Jesus does not point to the meaning of the cross, although Jesus would indeed remind us of a cross.
Reminders are Post-its, not Symbols.
If the cross were, say, like an instant lottery ticket, one could scratch it and disclose instant deity. Or, worse yet, if if were like a scratch and sniff board - today familiar as perfume ads, associated in my memory with an unfortunate John Waters film -one could scratch and be rendered olfactorily satisfied.
When you scratch the cross, Jesus is not there ( in case you have not noticed).
It is a symbol.
NOW, we reach the point where I have discovered that Christmas trees have come to be symbols for religion.
Even though I have in my life knelt before a cross and prayed, I have never prayed before a tree, much less to a tree. Nor have I prayed with trees - a rather loose interpretation of "When two or three or fir are gathered in my name..."
When I see a Christmas tree, I see a tree and I see a display of lights. Of course, it is associated with the religious holiday, so it reminds me of Christmas. Frequently there is a manger scene nearby in case I missed the reference.
However, I toss old trees out by the driveway by at least Kaiser Wilhelm's birthday in January. I do not ever remember being so careless with a cross. I have never actually tossed a crucifix into the garbage. What I have done to them seems to have been blocked out of my memory. I mean, I must have done something with them, or else I would have a large stash of crosses that had fallen off broken rosaries and scapulars somewhere; but, I do not.
Similarly, a menorah stands for the miracle of one day's supply of oil lasting 8 days. This miracle itself is a symbol for God's love for Israel.
Now menorot are not usually tossed out after Chanukkah. I have an artificial tree. Similarly this I do not toss out after Christmas.
However, if a menorah should inadvertently be tossed, the Torah will not be affected.

No comments: