Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hope And Sorrow

My brother is no longer in jail. My father and I had visited him during his incarceration. We found the people that work at the new jail near Port Desespoir to run the gamut from competent to surly, rude, and barely distinguishable from the worst inmates. My father found a woman who knew a woman with whom we used to work. All was smiles. After all, we were visitors. There is no particular reason we should be treated as criminals. When we asked questions, we received answers. There was no longer a supercilious disdain or a low, throaty growl.

So on to the visitation area. Did I mention that this jail opened new in 2006? In the visitation area, the guard lead us to an alcove where there was inch thick security glass, on the other side of which sat my brother, wanly smiling. "Thanks," we said to the guard. "Don' mention it." he said. "Talk loud." Ah...hmmm? Did we hear that right? "Talk loud."? Is that some sort of criminological adieu? Something like: we are parting...so sad...our time together ( about 2 minutes) was great, but we must part...since we will be far from each other, TALK LOUD, so that even if I were at the ends of the earth, I could hear your voice and return in the wink of an eye...and so on, and so on, and so on. O.K. If that was it, it was not very interesting. White guys, especially fat, white guys-especially fat, white guys who are prison guards- are always trying to be hip. They fail badly. I did not think that I would soon be saying goodbye to someone and smartly saying, "Talk loud!" (I might, just might, say "Talk loudly!")
So we turn to the object of our visit, giving the old alcove the once over, looking for (a) some sort of grill in the glass through which sound waves could carry, or (b) some sort of telephone connecting us to the other side of the glass, again through which sound waves could carry. There was nothing. I asked my brother, "How do you talk here?". He made one of those hand-as-an-ear-trumpet motions and I think he said "Eh?"  I spoke louder. "How do you talk here? There's no phone." He laughed. "The place's screwed up." 
We managed to fill in the next 30 minutes yelling at each other. My father, who has some lung issues, managed to get himself up to proper volume and bellow his question why my brother had not gotten a haircut yet. And so it went. There were other folks there, just visiting. So there was a constant chorus of Ehs?, Huhs?, Howzats?, Run that by me agains? up and down the halls. We assumed the staff was busily writing down all the secrets being passed back and forth. We thought that perhaps the county could not afford an surveillance eaves-dropping system to spy on any shenanigans that might go on, so they came up with this wheeze.

At the end of the half hour, all the visitors panted to the elevators and shared wondering looks. We would have laughed, but we were out of breath. So now he was out. And what will he do now? Well, this has been a trying transformation for all involved.
However, yesterday I decided to emphasize drinking. I suggested that if he wanted to drink - at which point he demurred, saying it wasn't as much fun as it used to be, and he was thinking of quitting...if you drink, I said, if...try and schedule it a bit better. A which point he gave me the old goggle eye. "What?" So I toke a piece of paper and wrote down two columns, one with 5 and 2 equalling 7, the other with 4 and 3 equalling 7. On the top row that had the 5 and the 4 in, I wrote "Binge Days". On the second row I wrote "Cold Sober Days". I pointed out that we could make a lot more progress in getting him a place and a job if I could count on certain days of sobriety. I suggested he plan it better. Don't just drink. Make the binge days count. Get it out of your system. Rent a movie. Rent two or three movies. Just remember to watch the one you really want to see first. Watching movies on a binge day means the second and third movies become a wee bit disjointed. And so on. He was captivated by the notion and we expanded our talk to other areas. It was rewarding. The hours spent before now- since his decarceration-had not been amusing and amiable. One step at a time...forever.

8 comments:

Iraqi Mojo said...

Hi, how long was your brother in jail for?

Montag said...

Oh...Hi!
You took me by surprise.
People rarely stop by my old Blogstead.
(I do remember your post which so impressed me, however. I sent it to my mudarrisa - under whom we study Arabic.)

Well, about my brother...
The jaded, worldy-wise thing to do is to say "Which of his sojourns in jail do you mean?", but it obviously is the most recent.

60 days. Not too long.
But...he is very much chewed up and spit out by society...and it is hard to deal with him.

However, I just talked to him on the phone about going around seeing people about renting - and he was chipper, bright-eyed, and bushy tailed!
No drinks today! So my bright idea becomes even more astounding in that I had ever thought of it in the first place!

God willing.
Ma sha'llah.

Iraqi Mojo said...

Do you consider his drinking has led to him , how could i say this, breaking the "law" (that is a completely separate subject but let's not go there now)?
On another matter, may i make a suggestion?
Get rid of the word verification on your comments section and forget about moderation. Let them post what they want, that is the whole idea of a blog.

Iraqi Mojo said...

Montag it is "InshAllah" not MashAllah, MashAllah is said when say for example someone does something good or unique, you would say MashAllah, so as not to give them bad luck or the evil eye.

Montag said...

Thank you.
I woke up the very next morning wondering about that, Ma versus 'In and I decided I could weasel my way out of it if someone brought it up.

I appreciate all help in Arabic.
I am reading short stories by Zakaria Tamir and at a pre-Sesame Street level.

Next, I consider his drinking to be a response to what he calls the brutal boredom (B & B) of life, by which I think he means life is brutal, boring,and every possible combination of the two at any time.

I am trying to get him to get back into music. I tell God gave him a gift, and he's stuck with it. If he doesn't use it, life will never seem to be anything but b & b.

Now, regarding comment moderation, I shall ask you and you tell me:
given that the title of the blog has "God" in it, I have always been cautious about having anything that might seem disrepectful in it.
You know how anonymous commentors can get. I have seen some comments at Layla's that'll fry your eyes!
The mad and insane have enough forums open to them as it is; why open mine?

However, I am thinking about it.
(I am sure God knows exactly what to expect from mankind, and He laughs at our jejune blasphemies.)

Iraqi Mojo said...

>The mad and insane have enough forums open to them as it is; why open mine?

Who said you were not "mad and insane"? lol
Just kidding. :)
So what if they post weird and wonderful comments, let them, that is humanity in all it's different forms.
Accept that there are different types of people who will not necessarily conform to your way of living.
If they want to be abusive, rude, smart, dumb, insightful or whatever, then let them.
Unless you prefer to censor people?

Iraqi Mojo said...

>Next, I consider his drinking to be a response to what he calls the brutal boredom (B & B) of life

I don't want this to become a "dear dr whoever" but the last six months i have been drinking heavily due to the same reasons as your brother.

>by which I think he means life is brutal, boring,and every possible combination of the two at any time.

So so true.

Montag said...

Life is B & B.
We have to transform it with the things God gave us.
Therefore, we had to get him back to music somehow, and not merely in the auditorium of his own imagination. It seems important to have at least the mandatory two or three gathered and communication to take place.
We used to work together. We went through some tough things. I know how great is his urge to flee.
Brutality and Boredom do have REAL faces. We are not merely talking psycho-babble here.


At this point, we switch to comment moderation. I am still thinking about it.
I notice you write "weird and wonderful". It would be nice if that's the way it was, weirdly wonderful and wonderfully weird, but it seems to usually be nasty, brutish, and a bit too long.
The weird ones are as long as treatises, and the nasty ones are short, like quick nips of your flesh.
The word "wonderful" is often very hard to spot in the thicket of reading commentary.

What if your blog were like your home or country?
If you had the power, would you invite some weird and wonderful troopers to come in and set a spell?
Perhaps this analogy is stupid...I'll think about it.

I would prefer people censor themselves.

Actually, this is quite an interesting question and raises quite a few issues...issues beyond political issues.
I shall ruminate upon it like the proverbial baqara.