Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why I Don't Believe In God

There was a philosophical type johnny very much full of the grey matter who observed that even though he had never met his mail man, he did believe in the mail man; i.e., that the mail man actually did exist and mail did not magically appear in his post box everyday.

If you ask me whether I believe in God, I probably would deny you an answer. If pressed, I would say that I expect God.
I do not "await" God in the sense that some await the second coming or the end of days.

This type of watchful waiting implies that the awaited event is not present or has not occurred and is , thus, somehow separated in time and space and spirit from us now. I am not waiting...not for Godot nor for GOD-ot ( as some wits have read Beckett's title). If I were waiting in that sense, it would be a problem. I would tend to say things of a trivial or embarrassing nature, such as are in the Left Behind books, and there would be a divine presence sort of harrumphing or clearing its throat and saying, "Hey, I'm right here, you know. You're talking about me as if I weren't here!"

I do not wait for something which is not here. I do not hope for something promised yet not fulfilled. I do not deem, think, suppose, nor reckon on something problematic. I expect that which is here yet not immediate in my ken; a promise which is a memory and an anticipation. As far as thinking about God or knowing about God, thinking's for the birds.

The Greek word is " ELPIS " and it means all that I mean and do not mean; a wide ranging word of hopes and expectations. Instead of Theology, I shall speak of Elpidology. When people ask me, the foremost Professor of Elpidological studies, what is the nature of God, I shall pull myself up to my full, impressive height, look sagely into some distant horizon, and then say: "I expect God!" I shall say with a booming tone of wisdom. Then I shall look at my watch.  

" In fact, He should be here shortly. I shall let Him answer your question." 

--

1 comment:

Justin said...

Sorry about the long response time. I've been quite busy.

Atheism isn't a phase that should be experienced. It is the only logical conclusion one can reach without resorting to arbitrary, illogical, evidence-less belief.

Your 'expectation' of a deity in no way justifies, defines, or rationalizes that expectation or 'deity,' whatever a 'deity' is.

With that out of the way, how are you doing?