Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I had so many comments, that...

...I got the title of this post mixed up with the first sentence!  Now that's a first! Or is it? Not sure. Anyway, I've managed to forget what I set out to do: I booted up Blogster, I signed in, I have a new post screen staring at me...I obviously intended something here beyond scratching myself.

Oh, yes. Obama. I do not think Mr. Obama is the greatest guy of all time, but if he cannot get his party to pass health care and some meaningful financial regulation, the result will be an affirmation of the unusual confrontation we have where 45% to 49.9% of the population believes that, having lost an election, they may actively nullify anything laws that may squeak through.

This same thing was tried out in the middle of the 19th century, and it was a major dust-up getting things settled again. When I was young, we may have hated the other party's guts, but if they won, they got to run the country. We never imagined we could just buy guns and ammo and ignore the laws of the land. (It has gotten so far, Glenn Beck wants his own "purified" church.)

I'm waiting to see.
You already know what will happen if Obama fails. Maybe you don't. Maybe I did not tell you. There are always at least two timelines that stretch before us, each requiring infinite computation until the end of the world. It's our job to choose.
If we choose to defeat health care and various other measures of Mr. Obama's, the result goes far beyond the destruction of Mr. Obama's leadership ability; it confirms the nullification view that we can ignore what we dislike - up to and including secession, which I think I heard sometime last year. This would speed the dissolution of our way of life; politicians, sensing this, would become even more venal and self-serving, and so would lobbyists and business.

I have invested a lot in telling you how bad things will become. I already got it right once or twice. I am not in any hurry for a repeat performance. My words can be just breath into the wind, and they will pass away - as will I - and a good nation may endure, having made good choices for good futures.

No comments: