Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Day After Tomorrow



The Canadian Highway #402 is the road we take to Toronto, and it is the road where 300 people have been stranded by the snow coming in off Lake Huron. I mentioned the weather patterns here before: how the weather for the most part comes from the west and heads easterly, but you may approach Port Huron, Michigan and see banks of clouds like mountains stretching from as far north as can be seen to the limits of the south... and flowing north to south over Lambton County, Ontario.

I remember telling my friend Ruth that one of her pictures of clouds reminded me of the "mountains" I used to gaze at just 20 to 40 miles away behind Sarnia, Ontario. The land here is so flat that it is easy to get into the frame of mind that those great grey and white masses you are driving towards are some mythical oreology that is a promised Shangri-La. Clouds are like that.

The Canadian army has been drafted to assist the rescue efforts. These choppers are on the same stretch  near Arkona and Wyoming I was traveling on Thanksgiving


Pictures on the evening news of a long line of cars and trucks dressed in silent white; it looks a lot like the film "The Day After Tomorrow". Add a couple of cruise ships shaken up in the Mediterranean and Argentina and we are getting a foretaste of how strange the weather will be when climate change kicks in.
We all shall need a good winter survival kit in the automobiles of our future.

--

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Clouds are my mountains.

This happened to my sister and her husband a few years ago on I75 down in Indiana or somewhere. The Interstate was completely impassable for miles, hundreds if I remember right. Everyone was stranded for about 7 hours. People had to pee in the medium or in the fields next to the shoulder with someone holding a blanket around them. People ran out of gas turning their cars on to stay warm.

I hadn't heard about this one.

Montag said...

Yesterday's news said the authorities thought they had everyone evacuated off the highway.

They were using snowmobiles to along with the helicopters to make their way to the cars.

The areas of different meteorology and micro-climates fascinate me. We ought to list how many there are within 300 miles, say.
At Harsens Island in the St Clair River, I have never gotten used to watching the clouds over me going east to west, then seeing the cloud banks over Ontario going from north to south.