Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Faith Reconsidered

I have taken heat about how I talk about Faith. It appears there are many people who believe that we can accept Faith by a statement of Faith. Beyond that, they agree it is hard to live up to one's Faith. We stumble and fail and so on. With that I do disagree. I believe Faith requires hard work over the history called "one's life". I base this on the observation that within the relatively small confines of the New Testament, there are direct commands to action which my society totally ignores. It makes no sense to make a confession of Faith if one is to totally ignore the major portion of it. I may find it a blessing that a family member practices family law in a Christian country that has a 50% divorce rate, however, there is a clear injunction against divorce in the New Testament. Obviously, Faith itself is hard, not just the approach to Faith. THE ABSOLUTELY HARDEST PART of Faith is maintaining Faith. I find it very hard to maintain a belief in the verity that God would provide for my needs were I act out my life in a Godly way. And here we mean all needs of life. Yet, that is exactly what is said in the Gospel. It is hard to believe with all your heart when your common sense quails at the possibility. I cannot have Faith when my emotion of certainty is but an emotion of indeterminacy. This view suggests a view of Faith ( and Life ) as a process. This will be the next post.

No comments: