Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sweet Do-Nothing Deity

God: dolce far niente.....sweet do nothing.

When I was writing the last posts, it struck me that Baysage and I have very different views of God. I think Baysage thinks of God as an active agent, whereas I do not.

Let that sink in.................

I do not mean that God just doesn't do anything, that it all dolce far niente with Him. What I mean is that if your thinking is along the lines of notions like "omnipotent", and "almighty", and stuff like God keeps the universe in existence from second to second, the entity God is so active, that activity defines Him, and it is redundant and odd to say that He is doing things.
To me, an active agent is a doer that needs to be distinguished from inactive agents. God is not among this group. Therefore, it is misleading to dwell on His doing-of-things.

For example, that's why I don't think of prayer as pleading and begging God to do stuff for me. What's done is already done...and what's going to be done is already done...when you're in the realm of "omnipotence" and "almighty" that's what it means: everything is done. It doesn't mean that it could be done; I mean, "omnipotence" doesn't mean that God could do it, if He only stopped goofing around long enough to get His act together! It doesn't mean that of course He can do it, but He can't just make up His mind yet. It means: Done! That's what it means.
Prayer for me is the road map, not begging. Since everything is "done", I want that roadmap to see where it is I'm going. Everything is "done", but I still can't see through the trees or through the mountains, and when I come to blind corner, I've got to still be careful; I've got to avoid dead ends and stay away from places where the bridges are out.
Sometimes we get a glimpse of the road map....sometimes we try to follow it...prayer is turning the corner, taking the fork in the road...I'm in the car, I'm driving; what's more, I'm driving a Toyota and I can't stop the sucker!
The Toyota Corporation and the US Congress and the Regulatory Agencies: they're "agents", they talk, they "do" things. Of course, maybe they do things too late, but that's what active types do sometimes; they're not "omnipotent"!
I'd rather have the road map than sit here begging for "agents" to "do" things.

(Apologies to Baysage if I have misconstrued things. He's smarter than I. He'd say "No. Montag's smarter." But that's obviously just a Japanese-type-polite-etiquette thing he's doing.)

No comments: