Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cute Newt

I noticed that the multi-time adulterer Newt Gingrich gave a "political" speech, part of which focused on how terrible it would be to live under Shari'a law.

Since "political" is a code word for "doesn't have a clue", I decided to learn something about Shari'a, because I barely don't know more than Newt does not know . And it has a long and intricate history. This resolve was helped along by my sudden recognition that Jesus wrote in the sand the sins of the Pharisees and pharasitical hangers-on that were just about to stone the woman taken in sin; i.e., adultery.
So the Jewish law had the same barbaric penalty as present day Islamic law does. That is not to surprising since the peoples involved have similar histories and roots. But I wanted to find out when this penalty was ended in Jewish law, thinking that perhaps it was due at least partly to the Diaspora and living throughout the Roman Empire, which may not have had such a harsh penalty, and among the nations of Europe, where Christianity forbade such a penalty by the demonstration of their founder.

I'm sure that Newt is thinking along the same lines.

No comments: