Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tommyknocker


I have gotten my old Dell computer working; it is circa the year 2000 and the OS is Windows Millenium. Getting it going was simple enough, but getting it to connect to the Internet - wireless - was a bit of a challenge.
First I had to convince myself it was even remotely possible. Once I had done that, I had to understand how things worked, and how this actually might be accomplished.

My 2007 HP Pavilion's motherboard died after only 3 years: no DVI or VGA signal to the monitor. I did not want to spend $ 69.95 to have someone tell me there was no signal to the monitor, so I put on a new monitor, cable, and graphics card: nothing. I returned the new stuff and brooded. In the meantime, I used my wife's laptop ( when she'd let me... ) and removed the HP's hard drive and mounted in into an external hard drive chassis so I could access files via the laptop.
After pricing some new computers, I decided to see whether I could hold on until some big Christmas sales. So try the Dell.
There's not very much available for these old things running on old OS that aren't supported anymore.


Me and the Tommyknockers

--

No comments: