Search This Blog

Monday, July 09, 2007

The Fast And A Change Of Diet

Stop me if you've heard this before. When I told She-who-must-be-obeyed about the Friday fast for peace, she scoffed then - it already being the Friday in question-decided to cook up a mess of bacon and make wonderful BLTs. Not nice. The next Friday it was delicious pasta, even though she has recently decried pasta as being too much with the carbohydrates. Is there a pattern emerging? So now I no longer eat refined sugar and items with corn syrup. And I love sweets. Ten cookies is an appetizer to dessert far as I am concerned. But SWMBO ( She-who-etc.) dislikes sugary sweets. When I'm diving in, she's wrinkling the nose at the old visions of sugar plums. And this has been the case for years and years. When we travel and stop at McDonald's, she may get a quarter pounder and I get a wonderful milk shake. In fact, the sweet comes first. If I am hungry after the shake is fully consumed, I might get a burger. You get the idea. So I tell her Friday no more sugar and high fructose corn syrup. So Sunday she buys ice cream and makes milk shakes at home!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course I had one. There were fresh raspberries in it. But that was my sole refined sugar experience. It's all very odd. (By the way, the sugar thing has nothing to do with fasts or dietary radicalism or green earth or anything at all. It's just time to do it. Like not drinking alcohol, not eating beef...it is time for me. There's no big universal plan to save the world. The only sweets I eat are the normally occurring fructose of fruits. Obviously I will have a milk shake if someone who has decried sugary sweets for years suddenly gets reverse-English religion from me and begins making shakes. I shall at least have the Numero Uno shake that marks the end of one era and the beginning of the next.)

No comments: