Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My New Car Of 2008: American Automakers

For 5 weeks, I have been searching for a new car. I have restricted my search to the so-called American Automakers: GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I am not happy. They have incentives for people just coming off car leases, and the standard A/Z plans, where if you work for or have a relative who works for an the company, you get a discount or some other consideration. Message to Car Companies: I refuse to pay one penny more than the next fellow for a new car. In this economy, we have the spectacle of a bewildered old man wandering the streets, his pockets stuffed with the green, trying to give it all away to some supercilious American automaker. So far, they have acted like good Samaritans, gave him a pat on the back and a gentle nudge out the door. I have responded to wondeful ads, only to have my dreams quashed by A, or Z, or present lease. I have explicitly told dealers this. They direct me to the previously-owned lot. What I discovered is a Certified used auto with some good Warranty left is probably, dollar for dollar, a better buy than a new car. Recall that we are supposedly trying to achieve new technology for autos to reduce dependence on foreign oil ( although, now since the price of oil has fallen, people actually are wondering whether we might not just slink back to gas guzzling ). Why would I buy a new car now, when in 3 years, the tech might be very much changed? I mean, my 3 year old will be a clunker or and "old Betsy" which will immediately qualify for historical license plates. By the end of this week, I shall admit all makes of autos to my quest.

No comments: