Search This Blog

Thursday, May 07, 2009

American Manufacturing

Every day we use a Oster kitchen blender that is 50 years old. The one we had that was about 5 years old broke some time ago. My mother uses an Electrolux vacuum cleaner that is at least 55 years old, the same design as the one that is in the Museum of Modern Art is the Design Area. We have a Waring mixer that is almost 40 years old, a Braun coffee grinder that is 30 years old. When I bake, I use wooden spoons that are 60 years old, and perhaps I should not use. We use my mother-in-law's heavy black skillet that is more than 60 years old. They don't make things like they used to. Black & Decker - an icon to Americans - has declined mightily in their quality. The chase for profits at the expense of everything else leads to the dumper.

No comments: