Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The State of White America 2

I listened to part of Charles Murray's The State of White America at   http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/WhiteAm 

I did not have time to listen to the entire thing. What I did listen to sounding rather more like spinning a  yarn or story telling and a Brave New World that endorses the inequities in wealth as being based in historical processes that are inherently more "desirable" than others. Right at the beginning he speaks of questions about why America appears to be coming apart at the seams. I write about that, too. Our way out of the mess differ.
Neither of us is a scientist. Mr. Murray has an agenda quite clearly, and he believes in it. This fact itself - although it does him no dishonor as a man - does inconvenience him in his interpretation of the statistics he has amassed.

White America is a reference point: Non-Latino Whites  as is used in sociological literature, and as such that is the reason he uses it. It is a reasonable argument from an affable gent. When I have the time, I shall listen to more. I doubt that I shall agree with him, however, because I never agree with anyone. Mr. Murray expects Libertarian solutions to be the remedy for our ills. Although from a political point of view I would probably hug him and say "Brother!", my vision extends well beyond the fence around the political corral, and I think Mr. Murray fears the gathering storm, whereas I have no choice anymore: fear or not-fear is becoming meaningless.

1 comment:

Montag said...

I will let you know.

It helps to be familiar with people who may be your ... how shall we say it? Enemy? Perhaps opponent is better.

I get an impression of fat, rich, white, and self-satisfied... which is OK, but I think we've had enough of it, for the fat, rich, and white seem to have a fatal flaw which causes banks to fail and nuclear fuel to destroy the environment.

However, I may be surprised.