Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mending Wall by Robert Frost



Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs...


...It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'...

He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."


--

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One of Frost's better ones, I think.

Montag said...

Yes, it is.