Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Somewhere in Time

My sister-in-law arrived by train from Toronto. We picked her up at the Walkerville, Ontario, train station and scooted back across the border before the storm hit. Nothing like participating in a transportation system that has a mixture of ways to move freight and people: we took the tunnel to Windsor, Ontario - no truck traffic in the tunnel while on the bridge there are scads of the big rigs, and on the off-chance I take the bridge, they add claustrophobia to my ready fear of heights; we got to wait at a real, working passenger train station on a small scale - not just a lean-to thrown up to protect against rain and snow.
We know we shall never see any sort of rail transport where we live, but we can dream that we could leave the car at home, pay the saved auto insurance premiums in taxes for the rail system and still be further ahead, and not be truck-squeezed everywhere we travel. (There are laws governing the lanes in which trucks may travel, but the "truck cartels" laugh at such things, and the "policia" are in their hip pockets.)

My wife and her sister were going to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island for a few. Late last week I decided to drive them. I have not a clue where I am going to stay on the mainland while they are "somewhere in time" on Mackinac. I shall be stuck in Mackinaw City, maybe (Both the -aw and the -ac are pronounced "aw" nowadays).

See you in a few.

--

No comments: