Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Copenhagen

Werner Heisenberg:"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." I saw the play "Copenhagen" in New York in January of 2001. I had gone there to comfort my daughter who had lost her job in dot.com melt down. I had spent the Christmas season insulting my friends - actually my ex-friends by the time I saw the play- and generally squandering the amicitas of 30 years in a few months of degraded behavior. Oh, well. The play was about how people cannot really communicate until after they are dead anyway. Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg. Master and pupil. Very poignant, eh? That's my life: poignant when I wish it were piquant. Anywho, Heisenberg's quote is very Immanuel Kant in that the Ding-an-sich we call Natur ... excuse me, but at this point I suddenly remembered that I spent a good deal of time dreaming in German last night... so was it prescient to this posting about Heisenberg? and it makes me think that the universe is music to the musical, and it is literate to the literal ( remember what I recently wrote about Joan Didion), and it is sensual to the sensuous, and it is something to exploit to the exploitive. And to the ones who still hear the voice of God, it is divine.

No comments: