Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2007

I Miss IMUS 2

As previously mentioned, my daughter gave me an "I Miss IMUS" sweater for Dad's Day. Every now and then I look to see what's on MSNBC. Recently it has been Joe Scarborough. He is competent enough on his own show. However, the early morning gig seems strained. The other day he had Laura Ingraham on. It became apparent what the problem is: being sarcastic, opinionated, caustic, and somewhat intelligent ( referred to hereafter as SOCI), is not quite enough to make it in the morning. SOCI is like Earl Grey tea. The bitterness of the bergamot makes it ideal for afternoons or early evenings, but not first thing in the morning. It is too much of a shock for the system. The people are not funny. That's the problem. They are SOCI, but they are not funny. They are witty...but not really in an endearing way. You can cut your finger tip on their wit, but your laughter is abrupt and short, furtive and suspect, leaving you with a feeling of being sordid. SO much for Scarborough. And the David Gregorys, as I have said, are much too saccharine. I think I shall soon tell a nasty story about Political Correctness and how PC without the other virtues - and, believe me, we may learn PC but we don't learn virtues - becomes a lash of scorpions itself. PC is nothing more than the good or the evil of those who wield it.

No comments: