Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

Helliburton Contracting Ltd

Elijah commented on the outrage Halliburton pulled, is pulling, and will continue to pull in Iraq: winning contracting bids, then doing the work with people who know nothing about construction. (Notice we say Halliburton, not KBR. By now, Halliburton should have been made aware of its subsidiary's crimes. Hence, Helliburton bears the onus of responsibility.) First, it made me aware how much I actually work at writing. I like to give the impression that it just sort of rolls off the keyboard, and I do not raise a sweat. However, I am quick to anger, and the more outrageous the situation the quicker it is. The description of a committee investigating soldiers being electrocuted in the showers passes my understanding. My real first response was: let us get our guns and then go find those responsible! Imagine! Billions for bankers, millions more spent on the media coverage of bankers and Wall Streeters and bonuses...and the USA can not find it in its bag of tricks to spend money building a shower room than won't electrocute the soldiers showering in it, and it can not find sufficient executive expertise to monitor what is going on until a couple of GIs have been fried!! What kind of a pantomime horse of a country was this for the last quarter century or more? So - as you see, it is very difficult not to rant about these things, but to find some other way to talk about them. I mean people will be outraged on their own, they don't need me to point out where the exact fault is; they don't need my incredible moral focus to to throw back the bedsheets from the copulating members of the military-industrial complex. I have ranted. Everybody does. So when I rant, I blend into the crowd. That's why I try to find another way to bring it to peoples' attention. As outrages and crimes pile on top of each other in our Tower of Babel, they blend into each other and become diffuse evil. I try to pin a badge or emblem of nonsense of them to keep them fresh in my mind, if not someone else's mind, too. Second, outrage should by now be a continuous state of mind, not something invoked when someone pushes our buttons. Our buttons have been pushed; our buttons have had a heavy book placed atop them and are continually on. We don't need a committee to find who is at fault, since we are not going to prosecute Halliburton-Cheney anyway. It is another sideshow for the yokels. And this is why I think our recovery will take so long: our country has so much rotten that it will take more than a generation to clear it out.

No comments: