Search This Blog

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Title Remains



The Title of this blog remains the same.
I did get rid of the sub-title, which was pretty much the mushy type of thing you expect from religious types with imagination impediments. I mean, how annoying are those religious blogs!!?? Jesus loves you?! Right. You know, I can get through an entire decade without trivializing my rapport with God by saying something as inane as " God loves you." Or mention anything about the Sacred Heart. I have never gotten along with that 17th century innovation.

The idea of worshipping by using the imagery of some 17th century visionary is much too heated for me. Plus I don't like the images of the Sacred Heart. And I don't feel the image of a God pointing to a hole in his breast, where His human heart is exposed, to be much of an image of undying love. It has always and continues to creep me out.
However, Catholics have never had enough shame. Nor good sense. Nor aesthetics. Having lived as an RC in the bloom of my youth, I can say we settled for crumbs when there was a feast. Crumbs. Little crumby images of hearts and putti-like angels. Yucch!

--

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Know the second largest religious group in the U.S.--after Catholics? Ex-Catholics! You underscore one of the many, many valid reasons people ditch the RC church. I wonder how many decided they'd had the final straw when the pope pronounced the other day that using condoms to fight AIDS made the problem worse!

A mild demurrer about the RC church and shame. It always had an abundance of that, more than it's fair share did it lay on people starting when they couldn't print their name. And aesthetics. Couldn't a case be made for cathedrals?

Things like the Sacred Heart are part of the Church's holy card approach to all adult Christians: treat them as if they were medieval peasants, illiterate, credulous, and stupid.

Montag said...

Yes. I have to agree.
The vision that works for one need not be valid for another.

What does it mean to have a divine vision?
It may very well mean somewhat the same as divine creation: every being is different, not the same thing over and over.

Not the same holy card for everyone!