Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Does God Know All Things? ( Quantum Epistemology)

Stop. Don't run away. I know I'm being repetitive, but I have said that I use this blog as my notebook, journal, and Vade Mekong, so sometimes I ramble on.
Ramble, you say? Like how? Well, like

Vade, Mekong, O flumen bellorum
in somnis nostris, parens Asiae
australis...
go, Mekong, o, river of wars inside our dreams,
mother of south Asia...

How long can you go on with a joke on "Vade Mecum"? Especially since no one studies Latin these days? Apparently - if you're me - you can do it forever. Good sense and good taste are a bit like quantum negative vacuum in my personality: they are exotic material, rare and hard to come by.

So, does God know all things? Actually this is not about the nature of God - which I consider something about which we cannot say anything at all - and it is about knowing

In a universe of conscious entities, Detail is infinite within the period of consciousness.

That is, if the sum total of knowledge at this moment is X, and I consider it, and you say "Montag has considered X on April 16, 2010." , you have added knowledge to the universe, and X has expanded to some new form, X+e.

The mere fact of "knowing" has altered what is "known".

So if God knows all things, God is constantly changing what is "known", so at time 1 "God knows all things" means somewhat less than it does at time 2. When a mediaeval scholar uttered "Omnia Deus scit", it did not have the exact denotation that it does today.

When I say "God knows all things" (GKAT for short), I assert it as being true, and I immediately create an extra detail of the sum total of knowledge which changes the sum total of knowledge, thereby falsifying the previous GKAT.

Conscious entities constantly add Detail to the universe. If there exists an up-to-date count of burgers sold by McDonalds, I can add Detail and create an updated burger account by going up and buying a solitary burger, with cheese or not.

My moral is not to talk about the attributes of God. It doesn't seem to do much good. And I can't remember any of the religious geniuses telling us to sit around and chatter about whether God is left-handed or right-handed.

No comments: