Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Food Poisoning Again

We have had it too good for too long. I used to make a great Xmas egg nog with egg whites, yolks, heavy cream... and it was a wonder. Of course, that all came to an end back last century when Salmonella swept through the egg industry.
Then Salmonella was gone !
Now it's back.
Soon E. Coli will be in the lettuce no doubt.

Our way of food production seems to be inherently susceptible to epidemics of toxins. I suppose this is due - in eggs - to the way we mistreat the poor chickens: standing on tiers of wire cages, fecal matter falling on those below. Everything is done for the lower cost and the highest profit. E.Coli and Salmonella are incidentals to running a profitable business. I was in one of those egg gulags years ago and was appalled.

Once more, the way we live our lives and run our businesses is what will destroy us, and we are well into it. We need to learn respect for other beings, for starts. We need Kosher and Hallal not by the type of animal alone nor how it is slaughtered, but also by how the animal is raised and cared for. The Eggs of the present day Egg Industry are treif; we need a Baiza Yisrael product, not the result of filth, greed, and degradation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched a horrifying movie once about the treatment of the animals we eat. The process is just unbelievably cruel. I've actually been looking at my yard and wondering how much of it could be turned over to vegetable garden and whether I could build a serviceable chicken coop in the back yard. I don't have much space, but probably enough for these purposes. And, I'm thinking, that before I move on, this sort of thing is going to become necessary.

Montag said...

My wife spoke of raising chickens, too. Of course, then she went on to say what about moving to Prince Edward Island, and becoming a Canadian citizen.

Interesting trend. Knew some folks with a summer place in Nova Scotia who were going to make it permanent.

We'll be the New Loyalists, heading north to escape the New Revolution.

Unknown said...

I could never get my wife to agree to move away from grandchildren. Why do you think I live in Oklahoma? I would have been gone to Canada already if I had my way.