Search This Blog

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Pictures from the 313 and 734

Sunset Over St. John's Marsh
Mary Stebbins Taitt



Sunflowers
Ruth M.

notes:
I have gone by St. John's Marsh all my life. The structure is located at a 1920s development called The Colony. There used to be a golf course in the marsh back then, but most of it has been returned to wetlands, except for a small area that was filled in in the 60s and mobiles were deposited there.

I like barns. I remember the barns from more than 50 years ago, and the siloes painted with New Era Potato Chip advertisements.
I remember the road to Marine City... I remember there was a service station or area on the way that had a bear in a cage set out in the sun for people to marvel at. Sweet times! Carnivals and barefoot boys and bear-baiting!

-

3 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I been there! Nice pix. LOL!

I like barns too.

Ruth said...

I'm intrigued: What are 313 and 743?

I was overwhelmed with summer nostalgia yesterday driving to Fort Wayne to meet a blog friend. Summer in Michigan was epic, perfect for a kid growing up -- small town (Grand Ledge), playing outside until dark, what a great state we have.

I've never seen St. John's Marsh.

Montag said...

The 313 and the 743 refer to the area codes of the blog writer.

St. John's Marsh is in Clay Twp (?)in the general area of the southern end of the delta at the north end of Lake St. Clair. M29 goes through it, while Shea Rd and Starville Rd sort of form the perimeters on land.
There is a bar on M29 just as M29 enters on the south end, north of Palms Rd, called "The Raft"; back in the 40s and 50s locals called it "Pukeys".