Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Last Days and The Seventh Seal and Steve Zissou




I saw Gus van Zant's Last Days - purportedly about  Kurt Cobain's end of life - and saw again Bergman's The Seventh Seal recently. There is something fine and grand about seeing films on similar topics in such proximity; one remembers each and each gives understanding to the other.

I think I found them much interesting in conjunction than alone. I certainly had a deeper appreciation of Bergman's film this time around, not in contrast to van Zant's film, but in community with it. They pointed my understanding somewhere a bit further along the rough road of comprehension of symbols... which is not a simple thing at all, symbols being of many natures, not just one simple type we like to pretend they are.

Then I watched Steve Zissou: The Life Aquatic again. I cannot really tell you why this is a significant event in my life. All of Bill Murray's films seem to be fine sandpapers that smooth out some existential rough edges... of which I have many.
I have spoken of Broken Flowers of 2005 frequently, a film whose first 15 to 20 minutes I missed and found the experience without the introduction and setting the scene to be a much more engaging experience than I usually have with films. I sort of became unusually involved as I had to figure out what was the story line, and as it became clear, it was as if I were walking through the film next to Bill Murray.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

This post makes me happy. Think I'll queue all these, based on your words and thoughts.

Ruth said...

Peter tells me Bill Murray doesn't have an agent. He does the movie projects he wants to do. If you want to call him, just leave a voice message on his answering machine, and if he's interested, he'll get back to you. He's a pretty cool dude.

Montag said...

Bill Murray is like one of the things of the world that just make me feel good... no matter what.
Like eating kibbe naiya or olives fresh from the barrel...what else? buckwheat pancakes... buckwheat in general...

I'll give him a call when my screenplay about the Algiers Motel incident is finished.

(Still mad that I missed the event in downtown Rochester... reminds me of going there one Xmas season for the light display; my wife wanted to go so I grudgingly went...... and I stood on the street corner with my mouth gaping open, not believing that someone had re-created the intensity of childhood Xmas so well!)