Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Poems

I have a large weekly poem this week, based on Ulysses and Penelope - my favorite couple, and have been wondering if my memory plagiarized some of it. As a youth with nothing else to do to in my autistic state, I memorized some Homer and some Kazantzakis: their versions of the Odyssey in Greek. So every time I write about U. and P., I have to wonder whether I am regurgitating the Greats, whether Homer or Kazantzakis.

(Kazantzakis also wrote Zorba, the Greek and The Last Temptation of Christ and much else. Homer did an Iliad.)

If you read it, take me royally to task if you chance upon a copyright turn-of-phrase or trope!

(It'll probably go up by Wednesday.)

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Interesting.

By the way, I'm reading Zorba and loving it.

Montag said...

I need to spend more time with K. He is the paradigm of "unique". His passionate involvement was such a breath of freshness to me many years ago.

And I think that the film Zorba was a catalyst of the middle and late '60s, although I do not hear it much mentioned.

Unknown said...

You could have left us a link to your poem. Would really facilitate getting to it so as to read it.

Montag said...

Sorry. It isn't up yet, but when it does go up this week, it'll be at the "peace-weaving" site, and the link is on the right just below the picture of the candle in the window.

It'll be long and tedious, but I guess there's no backing out now.