Search This Blog

Monday, November 08, 2010

Hence forward

 I sent this comment to a blogger who was musing on the musable of the present age:

People in groups in free interaction with each other usually tend to better a situation, not make it worse. For example, free markets can create wealth and raise standard of living for all citizens rather nicely.
However, if not done properly, these markets may also lead to disaster, as we have seen.

So the question is: why are the free institutions of our society creating a
"Fail" situation all around?


I think that properly poses the question, and there is no longer any need for me to make my complaints as if I were employed in piece work or sitting at a quilting bee and thrusting my finished squares of plaintively stitched social analysis into the common area for others to incorporate....(way too much sentence here!)

Our free institutions, which may create a Jerusalem as envisaged by Blake, yet may also  create a Salem's Lot as envisaged by King, seem to be dead set on the latter. Why? What are the pernicious choices? How might they be rectified? First we have to realize where we are. Some people still think the situation can be fixed by spending, some by balancing the books. I think we are living in slow-motion, and all the important things have been done over the last quarter century, and we wait to see how it plays out. We are the "grim" reapers of our sowing of the wind, so to speak.

Having said that, I shall concentrate on fun things hence forward.

--

No comments: