Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

I Remember When...


...When Comrade Stalin Rode The Subway

That's how old I am. Those were the good old days. Before megalomania took its toll. We should know. I remember the days when there was a peace dividend, when the US and USSR were well on the way to standing down, dismantling nuclear weaponry... just like back after The Fatherland War when we embraced in the ashes of Berlin!
Well, the USSR disappeared and Russia was down on its luck for a while. Meanwhile, back here in the US of A, most of us sat around bemused, wondering what to do. We began to strut around in a daze, muttering to ourselves "Able I was ere I saw Elba"... we began to hear bumps in the night.
We began to see Metternichs in every cupboard and Wellingtons on the dinner table.
In short, we went a bit nuts, and everytime they tried to throw the good old strait waistcoat on us, we ran off towards the Middle East like lunatic bonapartes.

Now there is a START treaty to approve. The threat of nuclear weaponry is too great for political games. It must be approved now.

In future times, historians will look at the 20th century and say that one of the greatest moral achievements in the history of mankind was the mutual refusal of the USSR and the USA to perpetrate nuclear crimes.

And right now, most of us do not even think about it.

Future historians will have something to say about that, also.


--

5 comments:

Friko said...

You intrigue me. I saw your comment at Ruth's and came to explore.

In my grandfather's house a picture of Stalin hung over the sofa the old man sat on with his dogs.

He didn't live to see Hungary,

Unknown said...

I don't remember the immediate post-Cold War period being all that great. Remember the illusionary "peace dividend"? Hell, the end of the Cold War barely put a dent in Pentagon spending.

START is a political football. The GOP is not going to approve it. They will not pass anything that looks like an Obama victory.

Montag said...

Baysage
Of course, if this business of denying Obama anything goes on too long, the masks will drop and the real agenda which is targeted againt one man and his...er, "background" shall we say?... will be a bit too obvious.

Montag said...

Frike
Glad you stopped by. I apologize for the ADHD nature of my writing ahead of time.

That Ruth is pretty sharp.

Montag said...

Friko

Sorry, I meant to write "Friko" and I wrote "Frike".
This was not so much dyslexia as something else: when I saw your name, I immediately made a connection with "Freya" or "Frigge" of Norse mythology, and I was swept along.

Sorry.(as I write this, once more I go back to see if I have finally written the name correctly!)