Search This Blog

Friday, November 05, 2010

Sparky

Sparky Anderson, who managed the Detroit Tigers to the World Series crown of 1984 - the big year I always remember - passed away.

When Sparky left the Tigers, I lost interest in modern day Major League Baseball.

1993 (I believe) was the year of replacement players. Sparky Anderson refused to manage the Tigers if replacement players were fielded. A little know fact back then was that there was a good deal of finger-pointing between teams, each one accusing the other of wanting to field "better" replacement player teams, the object being to get such a lead in the season with the replacement team, that when the strike was finished and the real players returned, they would already be well on the way to the World Series. In essence, a major part of the replacement player scheme was to be non-competitive and offer baseball, but not baseball that was too good. (There are news articles from the time to substantiate what I have said.)
This would also include offering the paying fans what was actually a phony sport appetizer to chew on until the main course was finished.

Mike Ilitch, the owner of the Tigers, allowed Sparky to remain one more year. Sparky was too popular to fire outright. However, the deal was to manage one more year, then retire.

I have always had a feeling that this is the main reason why Sparky chose to be depicted in the Hall of Fame in the uniform of the Cincinnati Reds.

Sometimes I feel like I should really get back to seeing baseball; I used to play until I was 18 or 19 years old. But there's always something that has a bad taste (steroids came after this).
For me and for many other kids, Baseball was Iconic; the great players were epic heroes: Ulysses and Achilles and Davie Crockett. The baseball strike year exposed what the game had become in the big leagues: an entertainment, a lucrative entertainment, when the bottom-line took priority over the traditions and stories of baseball. The spirit of Las Vegas had kicked out the spirit of Flatbush Avenue, of Shibe Park, and of of Briggs Stadium at Michigan and Trumbull.
I cannot imagine what would have happened if the season had gone on in its entirety with replacement players. How could the Series be played, when everyone all along knew the sport they were presenting was a sham?
Ask yourself that: what would have happened? Well, they would have put on a dog-and-pony show of the World Series.

Sparky had Soul. Modern baseball does not have Soul. It's a good sport, there are good and great players, true, but there is no Soul no more.

--

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Amen. I hadn't heard yet that he passed away. Yep, he's baseball. One of the few things I shared with my dad.

AD said...

Sparky had soul.

Such people are all too few in the publicly visible realm, but their presence encourages those of us who keep soldiering on while everything's falling apart all around.

Unknown said...

Yes, Sparky was a good one. I remember him predominantly as the manager of the Big Red Machine. Thanks for the further background.

I have blotted out the fact of replacement players . . . were there actually major league games played with these rubes? What year was it? I thought they were in spring training with these guys, but that they were gone before the season started.

I'm a stone traditionalist about the game. The millions are what has robbed the game of soul.

Montag said...

Baysage,

I think it was '93. I was startled that, upon returning from a cruise, I saw a small article in the sports section saying that some GM had accused the GM of another team of trying to field a team of replacements that would be "too good".

It really woke me up to what was going on. It would be like me asking you to write a pseudo-history of Shiloh where Albert Sidney Johnston survived... and submit it for peer review.
It would do wonders for your reputation and legacy.

Montag said...

Ruth,

I shared many things with my dad at a simple level. Nothing too deep, because...

You'll have to forgive me. I began brooding over things that are leading me into areas best left unsaid... at least for the present time.

Unknown said...

Montag, I didn't share many things with my dad at the simple level, as I recall. Deep, forget it! I don't brood much anymore, but one does not forget.

Montag said...

There are so many things I wish I could forget.

Now, having said that, it seems an important part of our lives: fears that hobble us, memories that distort our perceptions.

I swear, it just seems to me that's always what religion was about in the minds of the religious geniuses: make it new!
make it new all the time! never pour the new wine into old wineskins, for the old ones will break and the new wine will be lost.

Unknown said...

Yep. Tear it up. Whatever you learned is wrong. Whatever you think, it is not so. Let go, let God. It's the most counter-intuitive command in the language.