Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

Setting The Bar

Old-Timey Police Commissioner


Town's white police official calls Obama N-word
https://news.yahoo.com/towns-white-police-official-calls-obama-n-word-204931723.html
WOLFEBORO, N.H. (AP) — A police commissioner in a predominantly white New Hampshire town says he won't apologize for calling President Barack Obama the N-word, and he sat with his arms crossed while angry residents at a meeting called for his resignation on Thursday.

Wolfeboro Police Commissioner Robert Copeland, who's 82 and white, has acknowledged in an email to his fellow police commissioners he used the racial slur in describing Obama.

Town resident Jane O'Toole, who moved to Wolfeboro four months ago, said she overheard Copeland say the slur at a restaurant in March and wrote to the town manager about it. Copeland, in an email to her, acknowledged using the slur in referring to the president and said he will not apologize.

"I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse," Copeland said in the email to his fellow police commissioners, part of which he forwarded to O'Toole. "For this, I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such." ...
 "He meets and exceeds my criteria for such."
I like the pretense at rational evaluation, which is exactly how such people disguise their racism: a pretense of rational evaluation of capital punishment, of crime statistics, of popular music; the list is almost endless.

Of course, my mother will say that the poor guy is 82 - two years older than Donald Sterling - and comes from a different generation. I usually ask her, "Do you mean a racist generation?", and she agrees, although she does state that she herself was not.
In her case, I believe it true, for she is an unusual person. Genetics. Her mother was very unusual.

The smug face of Racism masquerading as Homespun Wisdom of the Aged is an image that reminds me of the last stages of cancer, the hidden guest of the body politic becomes death triumphant.

I refer to the police commissioner as a slimey old coot; he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.

--

No comments: