Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Battle Of Midway II

Shall we ever deal with severe issues in a socially advanced way? When it comes down to the long-term health of the environment and, by implication, the well-being of our species, shall we ever be able to choose a balance between the long-term benefits and the short-term advantages and comforts? We have not thus far. One word: Plastics! BBC environment correspondent David Shukman reports on the plastic peril facing the remote Pacific atoll of Midway. Plastic debris collects around the atoll, scene of a seminal World War II battle, with serious consequences for its wildlife. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7312777.stm

"Greetings, people of Earth! We, too, are carbon-based. However, by virtue of our plastic molecules, we are virtually immortal.

We shall inherit the Earth.

Catch ya later!" P.T.F.E. Becker, fluoroethylene superhero, also known as The Teflon Kid.

2 comments:

Anna MR said...

Hei Montag, I read this too and came very close to blogging it as well. It's too awful for words, really. And hei, did you read about the Earth Hour or whatever it was called - an international thing, so I read in my paper today (somewhat after the fact as it had taken place on Saturday morning our time) with at least our papers giving heavy coverage to Australia, of turning out the lights and other electrical appliances for a given hour. Fine yes, nothing against that, far from it. But what I read also was that a certain pub in one of the bigger cities was handing out free pints to those turning up with a black balloon (which symbolised support for the Earth Hour event). But hang on a minute. What about the environmental impact of balloons?

People are stupid. I wish I didn't harbour such a wounding tenderness towards mankind as well, because we certainly don't deserve it.

Hope you are well, though.

Montag said...

Go see the poem dedicated to you...and your sisters.

I was aware of black-out day, but what I had read said it was occuring at 9:00 GMT. So with my usual problem of "spring forward or spring back" I calculated that it would occur at 2:00 PM my time, and since this was the middle of the day, what was the point?

I remember during the fuel embargo of the 70's how dark it was at night, especially at Christmas.

The balloons were too bad. I always used to look forward to crawling between pubs in order to get as many balloons as possible.