Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wherein I Miss The Point

Wittgenstein

It has just dawned on me that I actually said - in essence - present day political discourse precludes moral discourse, http://fatherdaughtertalk.blogspot.com/2008/07/energys-cauldron-bubble-bubble-toil-and.html the "bubble universe" being an emblem of obsessive self-interest. This is startling. I mean, I suppose it is the type of thing we nay-sayers are always blathering about, but I can assure you that political discourse of Washington's times did not preclude moral discourse; politics did not preclude morality. I may notice, then, that neither did business. There are goal statements rendered forth by every corporation, telling the readers what social benefits each corporation will emit. Present day readings will give only a sense of hypocrisy. There is something about the Moral which a lot of people forget: there can be no private moral discourse. (Any so-called private moral discourse can be nothing except what we refer to as between God and myself, and this is so privileged as to be outside the area of which we speak, for we cannot speak of it.) All morality is forensic, meaning it's out in the forum, the agora, the marketplace, at least the space created by the Ich and Du. Morality at its minimum is a duality. Beyond that, is is a plurality. A philosophy of Man and Economy which is based solely upon the interests, values, and goods of a single, solitary individual by its very nature excludes Morality. I should add that it is this very aspect of modern life - the fact that the Moral is pushed into the closet - that makes it appear to be insane. I mean, when I say everyone is insane, obviously I can't mean it. Right ? However, if I were to say we are all amoral bastards, I would get quite a few smirks and heads nodding in agreement, thinking what rogues and money-making movers and shakers we all are. Odd. In case you are wondering, "Why Wittgenstein?", or "Warum Wittgenstein?" or whatever, Ludwig is famously connected with the notion of a private language, yeasay or naysay.

A Work by Tyree Guyton I call it: The Closet Doors Of Morality

No comments: