Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Adieu, Scarlet Pimpernel!



I opened up the dashboard this AM, only to discover I had lost a follower-friend!

I had always wondered what I would do when this event - to which we all are prone - reared its ugly head. So now I knew. I immediately imagined Anthony Andrews as the Scarlet Pimpernel , from the film of the same name, in his day-time disguise as foppish dilettante, reciting foppish poetry:

"Is he in heaven?
or is he in hell?
that damned
Scarlet
Pimpernel!"

(At nights, the Monsieur S. Pimpernel saved French aristocrats from the Terror and the Guillotine. And the quote is word for word...I do not wish to imply anyone is "damned"...I shall NOT build a Berlin Wall 'round about my blog, lest some future friend say "Mr. Montag, tear down this wall!"...and so on...My German Democratic Republic has porous borders.)

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Ha!

Yes, it's a strange feeling when that happens.

And Anthony Andrews! I liked him in that role, but I really miss Brideshead Revisited with him and Jeremy Irons, which we watched ravenously. "Sink me" - AA's refrain in that show would also be apropos here.

Have you seen AA lately? I don't remember where I did, but he has changed dramatically in appearance, having put on a considerable amount of weight.

Montag said...

Saw him in The Pallisers...but that was 1974, and before Brideshead.

It was astoundingly good. 26 episodes and I was amazed how it drew me in.

Haven't seen him recently. I suppose he left Sebastian, his teddy bear from Brideshead, stashed away somewhere.

Ruth said...

Didn't know or see Pallisers. Sounds like it would be good to get the series on Netflix. It would be like old times - back to the first year we were married methinks (Brideshead, that is).

Montag said...

I am going to tiptoe quietly around this...

...

...if you recall when Bridey was engaged to Beryll, there were puns on his name...and the coming marriage ceremonies...and so on...