Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2006

Credit Problems

A good deal of coverage nowadays on the credit problems of young people. Hee-hee! Wait 'til the Bush National Debt catches up to them! My nephews were wondering the other day that if you put, oh, say, about 300 Republican Representatives and Senators in room with a like number of typewriters, and then went away for, say, 100 years, what is the probability that they would have written the works of Charles Bukowski AND the recent revisions on the law of personal bankruptcy. Chance were pretty good for the second alternative. Refresh your memories now. The revisions in personal bankruptcy were bought and paid for by the Credit Card Companies. Oh, yes they were. There is no doubt about that. Even Rush Limbaugh would not argue the contra side on this moot. I will not go on about the atrocious law. I will observe that it treats those least able to pay enormous interest in a distinctly non-Judaeo-Christian way. Judaeism and Christianity and Islam all have obligations to the poor and those burdened by debts. WE do not. We do not, because we are not Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim. At best, we are fellow travellers of the above mentioned faiths. I was sitting with some frien ... acquaintances a while back. (Almost said "friends". Don't do the "friendship" thing. Yuuuck!) I said that our society was populated with monsters. I was talking in re: killing middle easterners. He, my acquaintance, corrected me and said that I could not really say that most of the populace were monsters. Most were good people. Surely. I was abashed and said yeah, I guess. Shucks. Nonsense. We are monsters of complicity and acquiescence. If you think that it is quite enough to go to church and pray before dinner and feel a pang of remorse when some broken Iraqi kid is hoisted up to a prying camera on the TV, you are crazy. Crazy Monsters! Now you see why I do not do the friendship thing. Imagine sitting with me at a restaurant and have me go into this type of rant. Imagine me contradicting everything you say. You'd run, too. So, it's monsters...check the friendship thing at the door...and try to remember to pray to God, not the credit card company. It's hard. It may take awhile, but it will be better in the end.

No comments: