Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

News From Radio Free Europe

"Les sanglots longues...blessent mon coeur d'un langueur monotone." Je repete, "Les sanglots longues..." I am sending you news from outside your borders. You are Heurtebise listening to your radio in Cocteau's "Orphee". These news items have not yet been cleared by official American News companies for domestic consumption. The American News Media are complying with the Ministry of Information, or Mini-Truth as we call it in OrwellVille. 1 The Israeli group Peace Now has issued a report stating that more than a third of the Jewish settlements in the West Bank are built on privately owned Palestinian land. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6168752.stm Of course, such settlements would be illegal under the Geneva Convention. The official argument against this is an embarrassment since it is learned pleading in the support of theft. I checked the NY Times and all I could find today was: Israeli Map Says West Bank Posts Sit on Arab Land which does not appear to be quite the same. However, it is the same story. My entire intro is a bit, shall we say, nonsensical. (Now it is time to write about DeQuincey's Nonsense Considered As A Fine Art.) 2 There was a BBC TV special yesterday on the presence of the CIA at Robert Kennedy's assassination. I wonder when we will see that. I remember some years ago, many years actually, seeing a special on JFK and his brothers while I was in Canada. I was stunned. It was the first mention ever of the Marilyn Monroe connection. I stared at the screen, wondering who had produced this documentary and from where had it come. I knew it could not be American. At the time, American news did not report on the sexual mores of the political elite from the eastern seaboard. Congressmen from Ohio were fair game, however. I had never seen this type of reporting. It was a BBC documentary. I had to be in Canada to see it.

No comments: