Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cocktails Of The Elite: Mesopotamian Manhattans

There is a furtive website devoted to archeological bric-a-brac which has been lifted, borrowed, taken out on very long term loan from the Baghdad Museum. This goes back to the good old days of euphoria after the fall of Saddam and the disbanding of the Iraqi Police. I considered this as a logo ( although, what " I " have to do with all this is not clear. I have already distanced myself from "BLOOD" diamonds, mostly through the brainy idea of labelling them "Gem Haematites".) There is a Sumerian Seal, overlain by a maraschino cherry, without which no Manahttan may be drunk. In an inspired moment, I substituted a red crescent-shaped plastic scimitar for the usual straight plastic cocktail sword, thus combining Sumeria with the crescent of Islam- the red being a dash of tabasco or Al Hajjaj. Al Hajjaj is the sort of individual who would be called the "blood" in a "bloody good time."
I realize the script work on the top is a bit more Indus Valley or Mohenjo-Daro than it is Sumerian cuneiform, but Pakistan is not so far down the list.
painting: Suheir Salman

No comments: