Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

1991 & 2008

This autumn will see the 18th anniversary of the fall of Communism, as well as the first anniversary of the fall of Liberal Capitalism. That second shoe that I had a hunch would fall, has indeed fallen, and we may mark it as such. This is not an isolated phenomenon in history where two antagonists have destroyed each other through various ways. Recall that the Roman Republic destroyed Carthage in a number of bitterly fought wars, and finally triumphed. However, the Roman Republic itself died within a century of the final destruction of Carthage. Many causes of the Republic's demise may be traced to its militarisation during the period of the Punic Wars. I am sorry. It is too late to change it. The way the USA was going the last few years, it was a game being played by mad men. You and I shall miss the old days, but I do think that the Future will look at the pitiful American Empire of Inept Greed and Ambition and be glad that it ducked that particular bullet. I am not gloating over it. I wish we had done things differently. The guys in power had a different outlook. I am saying that I have said this was going to happen, as did many others. I did not just say that I did not like Bush, Cheney, Torture Inc, and a war. I said it was going to destroy us. Now we shall make a new life.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you're right about making a new life. The question is what's the quality of that life to be? I find myself more and more concerned about my kids and grandkids. We've left them a travesty of a civilization. I don't know how we recover from the shards of what used to be our country, much less from the greed, meanness, and ignorance that got us here.

Montag said...

I do not know, either. But...I feel it in my heart. So, I guess we must try to create that dream which we are feeling and hoping for.

Montag said...

Oh...by the way, we had better be prepared to fight the Brownshirts of the Limbaugh-Coulter-type right wing.
And I mean really fight.
I do not want to, but there is a good chance of it being necessary.

After all, this is America, and we do have a violent history. Violence is how we do stuff.

Unknown said...

Oh, yes. I know what you're talking about. Violence is always our solution of choice. We're just one terrorist attack away from goose-stepping in the streets by those who will keep us "safe."

I really detest these right-wing crazies such as Limbaugh, Hannity, et al. That they can be taken seriously at all is a sad commentary on the ignorance, not to say stupidity, of the American people. It's a theme I often talk about, as you may have noticed. All this began with Ronnie Reagan, an affable fool whom the country elevated to the status of at least archangel. That he was able to be swept into office twice on clouds of gaseous blather . . . well, I'm getting too wound up. Must stop.

Montag said...

I think our violence began quite a long time ago...

...I think our true measure will be seen in how we eventually handle the abortion issue.

How many are the reasonings and arguments that support reasonable and logical deaths!
We have precise statistics of body counts in war, and body counts in peacetime.

Too many people believe in the goodness of death in one of its many forms...