Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

What White People Like

Christian Lander, the compiler of the blog "Stuff White People Like" includes ... scarves, gay friends, bad high school memories, water bottles, and being the only white person around. They also like studying abroad, getting divorced, alternative medicine, recycling, apologies, sushi, having two last names, renovating their homes, hating their parents, having gifted children, and tea, yoga and film festivals. And then there is No. 108 on the list: appearing to enjoy classical music... I cry foul, foul, foul most foul! at this. I not only love sushi, I know exactly how old it must be for the seaweed wrap and the plum vinegar to have its effect: too early, it is like eating a cigar. It is not my imagination that sushi makes me happy. Similarly, this is the white fellow who cried at the end of Act I of the Met's Il Barbiere di Seviglia in 2007. Now that is some music. I drink about 6 to 8 cups of tea per diem (thanks to The Grace Tea Company, New York, New York), have never been divorced, studied Yoga only along with Jainism and Buddhism and Hinduism as an attempt to grasp the basics of Indian culture. Back in the day, back when the Detroit Riots were having a brief, but intense, run at the local theaters, the newspaper across the river in Windsor, Ontario, ran a headline with a huge typo:
Burn, Whitney, Burn!
Maybe this was not a mistake for "Whitey"; maybe this was some sort of mordant comment, contrasting the supercilious rich - Whitney- against the poor and downtrodden. Don't know, actually.
I yam what I yam, ein vayse kop- a guy with a white mind. Only, I am not ashamed of my mind, not a bit. I wish it were better, I wish it were handsomer, but I'm ok with it. I love Mozart and I love early Rap music. I used to love film festivals until they became as overcrowded as prisons.
I do not understand the part about loving apologies. Perhaps that come from my Eastern European side; ikh? antshuldike mikh? farvos?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't like water bottles or being the only white person around. I think getting divorced is tragic. Renovation is too expensive. I don't hate my parents. I know nothing about sushi or yoga, having tried neither.

Opera can bring me to tears also. And Beethoven and Mozart.

Makes you wonder what kind of white person produced this list.