Search This Blog

Friday, February 13, 2009

Caution

I sat still and listened while my daughter had the TV news on. I did not hastily flee the room. I did not blanch, yelp, and dive under the chair. I sat, watched, and listened. Ever since I began referring to media-types as serviteurs parlants, or "talkative service people" rather than as "talking heads", I have begun to enjoy their electronic ministrations to my needs. Now they are serving me. I used to feel the other way: I was serving time and part of my punishment was a sort of perverse community service of listening to the "chattering of the heads" - far scarier than the "silence of the lambs". For example: Chris Matthews : peel me another opinion, boy! Bill O'Reilly : all this needless talk won't increase your tip, goofy. various FOX blonds : what's a girl like you doing in a dump like this? Blond: (looking around ) this is yer livin' room...ain't it? :yes. (pause) what's your point?

No comments: