Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Micro-Cemeteries



If you ever read my poems over in the other site, you would know at one time I wrote a poem about a micro-cemetery by the side of the road. It was inspired by memorial to Saint Ronny of the Semi: a cross of flowers with the name "Ronny", and upon a blanket of bows and boughs, little things - statues? toy soldiers?
A truck, too. Definitely a truck.

I think "Ronny" was "Ron". He had served in the army, and he was a truck driver. He died in a truck crash on that road I rarely travelled. And here was the memorial and micro-cemetery; it wasn't really a cemetery in any sense, I mean, no one was buried there. Even the last breaths may have been gasped on the way to the hospital...but the shadow of trauma and loss most definitely covers the area.

He had a loving family and friends, because every time I've seen the micro-memorial in the micro-cemetery, it was always looking ship-shape and Bristol fashion.

A while ago, the State government was pondering the idea of forbidding the micro-cemeteries by the side of the road. No more micro-memorials. I think people told them to go off somewhere and propagate, because no such law outrageous to the sensitivity of the bereaved was ever passed.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

What is wrong with this state, this country? Strip malls are ok, but not microcemeteries?

Montag said...

I think the memorials do more than anything else to remind us to drive safely.