Search This Blog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

The Tamm-inator


Tammi Petrocelli hangs out at Hanaan's Diner. She is only a girl in her mid 30's, so the only thing she has to say to the Greybeards at the table in the southwestern corner - where the afternoon sun spills over the window sill to warm us - is things like "Would youse mind passing me the salt?", or "Would ya's please pass the pepper?", or "Is somebody using this chair?"
We don't mind passing the spices, but the chair business is annoying. Usually the chair has just been vacated by one of the TYBALTs, The Young Bucks At Lunch Together...mortal enemies of the ROMEOs, Retired Old Men Eating Out. As I said, the chair was recently vacated, and the man who had been sitting there was usually just taking a jaunt to the Mens' Room. So it seems a bit premature to ask whether the chair had become superfluous. Unless there was some sort of infarction in the washroom, the old fellow should be back very soon. That's what we don't like about it: the implication of infarctions.

Infarction. Funny word. Sounds like something to do with flatulence, only more nasty: heart fart.  Hank Jacobowski spent one afternoon making similes between the TV and flatulence, sort of how loud some of the cable shows were, and how some of them were right in your face, and some were inflammatory - a references to BIC lighters and seat of the pants operations back in middle school; in short, a perfect symmetry between cable TV news shows and intestinal gas.
That's how we met Tammi. She liked the symmetry. Every time some one switched on FOX now, she said "Who cut tha cheese?" We laughed. She was cute, what can I say? She said other things for other shows:
Glenn Beck was Silent but Deadly, Anderson Cooper was One Cheek Sneak, various financial reports were Baaroooom, Squeak, Blitttt, and a whole variety of onomatopoetic names.
We still laughed, even though now we caught each others' eyes and rolled them heavenwards. She was a cutie. We admitted it was a shame that the only thing she had to talk about with men of our age and wisdom was potty humor, but people have settled for worse in their lives.

Tammi sells real estate. Rather, she sold real estate. Nowadays you give it away, as she says. The 7% of nothing is nothing, she adds. Wise beyond her years, we think, and nod our heads.

So the other day, she says "Ya know what the problem with people is?"
We look up, and by our looks, invite her response. It's like our eyes did not say "No. And we don't care! Buzz off!" with inverted daggers for exclamation points, rather they formed limpid pools of reflecting waters and softly said "We could not think of anything more precious than hearing you answer your own question."
She said "Religion."
She looks around. We sit there somewhat blankly. I mean, this may not be the first time we've heard this observation; we may have heard it once or twice before in our lives. How could such an innocent little tyke sell real estate? I suppose that explains her attempts at seeming a "tough guy"...or "tough broad", as the case may be.  She chewed gum...aggressively at times. She often seemed as if she had just come in from a date with Nathan Detroit.
On her business cards, she spelled her name:  Tammi  " the Tamm-inator " Petrocelli.
We supposed that she had spent a good deal of time agonizing over the choice between that or "Petro-zilla".
Then she pipes up "Ya know what the problem with religion today is?"
Again, brand new stuff. We were silent with stupefaction.
She extended her pause. Then, "I know you think I'm just a ditz..."
We were old and wise, and the one thing the old and wise owe to the young is that they should always tell them the truth...always! I mean, if you didn't tell them the truth, you may as well turn the whole country into a gigantic Ponzi scheme.
Hanaan sensed blood, and she was smiling as she stood perched like a buzzard next to the apple pies, a large knife dripping raisin and apple filling.
"Nawwww...!" we said as one. Each one of us made his own articulation of sincerity and his belief that she was a sharp cookie, best thing since slice bread, and out of the mouths of babes. Giant Ponzi scheme. Bunch of schnorrers!
She smiled, not a business-Hi-how-ya-doin'? smile, not a Pleased-ta-meetcha smile, but one of those smiles when you sense that all the tension of concealment, hiding, and subterfuge has left a person's body, allowing the most brilliant nova of a smile to burst forth, and you think it is the most beautiful smile that ever illuminated the most holy sanctuary of history.
She said "Religion today thinks the world is science and hard fact, and God is a choice..."
We stared...we stared like people stare just before something explosive happens; we were in that breezeway leading from Blessed Hum-Drum Elementary to the church of Saint-Blow-Us-Away...we stared with an anticipation that began to make our armpits moisten.
She went on "Actually, God is the hard reality, and the world is a choice..."

Everything was sort of hazy after that. She got incoming on her cellular, Hanaan told us to order something or get lost. When I was standing outside on the street with Levine, I began to come out of my fugue state.
"Levine! What was that all about?"
He shrugged. "Would you believe such a shikse sells real estate?"
I stared at him in unbelief, for he had said it  שיקסע
And he just meant she wasn't Jewish...and I think he meant that all of a sudden, he realized she was smart and intuitive, and he would have liked to have been able to tell people he had been at her Bas Mitvah...and something like why should a girl named The Tammi-nator sound like a rebbe? Levine was a businessman - owned the fish market - and there was an underlying motif of discord between what the modern world was, and what Levine used to think it was...or should be.
I'd heard all of it reverberating in my head, like he was Isaac Bashevis Singer...singing a tune, no less,  in the morning shower, and like I was Isaac Singer's echo...even though I felt more like Mr. Singer in The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter.
Infarction, I thought. Clearly an infarction of the rules.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

You need to submit this somewhere.

Some of it was lost on me, because I wasn't sure if you liked what she said or thought it was idiotic. I really liked it.

But then I don't remember The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter.

Montag said...

Well, please do not assume I actually have all of this under control, because sometimes I don't.

I can't tell you why the Tammi-nator was the person to say that business about God and world, nor why I waited so long to introduce a woman into the Diner.

She says we of today see the world as brute facts, scientific facts, things you can hold in your hand...God is a matter of choice: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhist, Jesus as my personal savior, or the necessity of good works as well as faith...quite a gallery of choices all around the world.

Then she says that's backwards: God is one, and it is the world that is changeable and subject to our choice: we choose which one to inhabit - a world of capitalism, of communism, of war or peace, of fear or of love,...is this is all there is or there are more unseen worlds beyond our senses?

There. I know that much.
Sometimes I don't have a clue what's going on in this blog.

John Singer was the lead character in The Heart...
I don't know why Levine said "shikse" in such a profoundly Yiddish way ( which I tried to emulate by using the Hebrew characters and Yiddish spelling...)
Sometimes I don't ask.
And I just liked the idea of Isaac Singer singing in the shower.

Montag said...

Oh, and John Singer was totally deaf.

Ruth said...

Your revisions and additions work splendidly. I needed what you added, and you did not add too much. The parts with "Nawww" clarified much, as did the speaker's exchange with Levine outside.

See, what you manage in these fictions/creative non-fictions (I don't know which they are, and that's nice, but what you wrote in the comment tells me this one is a fiction; and really it doesn't matter which one it is)- anywho, what you manage in them is maybe what you can't help but manage, because it is your voice, it is you: a world of mind populated with knowledge and ideas meeting a world of constant disappointment. You're an idealist whose heart is hurt, like the heart of God. It's like you're housing God's heart, and you would like to show him something different out here, but you can't, because it is what it is. The world of ideas and knowledge, in this context of a bunch of old farts talking in a diner is absolutely stellar, and meeting the world in a young realtor who surprises the hell out of y'all, is just the best kind of script.

We watched "Phenomenon" last night, a movie I had never seen. It's not critically great, but it's very touching and says a lot about individuals making a difference. One scene was brilliantly written and acted, toward the end, where Robert Duvall is in a bar yelling at some guys for being such dense idiots and bad friends. I don't know why I'm thinking of that in the context of your blog, but something rings true about getting the point when somebody else doesn't. That quiet inner world of yours that wants to yell and scream sometimes, that we get to see, and really touches me.

Montag said...

Thank you.

There is a lot to think about. First I am thinking about the heart of God being hurt, and how that should be portrayed...I'm picturing God sitting wake for all the fine dreams He had for his kids as they sink into madness.

I never saw "Phenomenon". I read a synopsis, and it sounds like an ok film. I think I'll take a look at it, too.
On the other hand, everything I read about "Avatar" makes me reluctant to spend the money. The only special effects I want is me running through summer woods, and jumping into the clear water of a northern lake.

(ps.
I am seriously working on that concept of God's heart being hurt...it seems to resonate.)

Unknown said...

A few things:

First, Ruth, I like the way you think.

Second, Montag, how do you get the Hebrew and Arabic script into your blog? That's pretty impressive for us tyros out here.

Third, God with hurting heart works for me as well. His big mistake was constructing us with the ability to decide for ourselves whether we want ruin. And now he's stuck with our choices. Gotta be a bummer for him.

Montag said...

Back in the old days, I used to downloads fonts and things like that, but I don't do it anymore.

If the expression is something like "shiske", I go to a good online Yiddish dictionary and copy it.
Hebrew would be another matter, and I don't recall using classical Hebrew in the blog. Yiddish uses the same letters, but does things differently with them.
Same for Arabic - cut and paste - unless it is something special, in which case I decided to just write it out myself and scan it - like the post on Jan. 12 about Mother Khaita.

God's heart and Mother Khaita are closely related icons, both grieving for their children.
It is filled with intermittent tears, like the parent who has a sick child - or an addicted child; sometimes we just have to turn away to cry.