Search This Blog

Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year?

I've always ignored New Year's Eve. Ditto New Year's. In fact, I usually put off writing the new and correct year on checks and things until February and March. Thus do I show my chronological freedom!

I went to bed at 11:32 PM last night.
I don't drink, so I have no toasting to do. I had earlier been at a restaurant, and had toasted something - A Happy New Year's To One and All, or Eternal Friendship, or Peace on Earth, some sort of impossible dream that turns up in the hony-tonk saloon where New Year's resolutions hang out - drunk and disillusioned with their pipedreams. I had toasted with Diet Coke...or Pepsi. Darn good soda it was, too. I told the waitstaff and commended the soda vending sommelier.
Many people, much body heat, surprisingly good food. Many elderly types sitting on bar stools and drinking like fishes!

I'm not much fun to have around on these festive occasions, mostly because I have a party going on in my head most of the time when the rest of the folks are dozing through the hours. While you are doing something rote and routine, I am running naked through the my mind's woodsy glens, giving the sun the glad eye, as well as any dryads or naiads I see.

So may the old year be committed to the bonfire of the inanities, and the New Year be everything you desire!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Ah, I enjoyed that. It's vastly important to remain dancing fools, even in our heads, especially ending the "naughties" as my friend Loring calls the oughts.

Here's to a rich year ahead - lifting my glass o' water.

Montag said...

The "naughties" sort of calls up an idea of a decade of minor sensual indulgences - which the "oughts" were anything but. It was a decade of extremes, by extremists, for extremists.

Ha. Someone almost talked me into Bananas Foster on New Year's Eve.

Unknown said...

HNY to all of you. I actually did champagne.

Montag said...

I miss champagne...actually I miss margaritas quite deeply. Blue agave tequila with the faint wintry tinge of blue...I can see why agave was sacred to somebody at one time or another.