Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Holographic Universe



I have been reading about Stephen Hawking's debate with Leonard Susskind about black holes, and the outcome which was Susskind's establishing a holographic String Theory view of the universe.
So here we are in a holographic universe. Hmmm.
So I went back and looked at Michael Talbot's book The Holographic Universe. Hmmm.
So I read what other people say about it, cosmic awareness, higher powers,... the usual suspects.

I rarely become enthused about the universe. To me, it is what it is. I have never been infected by the enthusiasm which is so infectious about higher powers and cosmic stuff: I do not even praise God. Why? Because He does not ask me to. It's all just: here's the universe, here's what you have to do, why are you stalling? and that's about it. Even now I feel odd talking about praising God... as if He were some high mojo... God is not a higher power.
God is not, strictly speaking, any thing at all.
God is not an object.
To praise, one needs an object of praise... like a golden calf, or a goat, or whatever.
I get the impression we praise God to make up for our long periods of forgetfulness and blasphemy.

What is it like to find a belief and to be imprisoned by it in a gilded cage of dogma?
I bet it is like sailing on a calm sea. I would rather sail upon a tempest-tossed sea and play hopscotch upon the crests of waves.

--

2 comments:

AD said...

Pleasing, well-put, true -- and the picture is a great match.

Montag said...

Some sort of scanning camera was used for that picture. I forget the name of it.