Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tweets and Tyrrany



http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/10/interpol-journalist-arrested-muhammad-tweet?cat=world&type=article
The Guardian

Interpol has been accused of abusing its powers after Saudi Arabia used the organisation's red notice system to get a journalist arrested in Malaysia for insulting the Prophet Muhammad. 
Police in Kuala Lumpur said Hamza Kashgari, 23, was detained at the airport "following a request made to us by Interpol" the international police cooperation agency, on behalf of the Saudi authorities.
Kashgari, a newspaper columnist, fled Saudi Arabia after posting a tweet on the prophet's birthday that sparked more than 30,000 responses and several death threats.
The posting, which was later deleted, read: "I have loved things about you and I have hated things about you and there is a lot I don't understand about you … I will not pray for you."
There are a growing number of international thought crimes in the world, and suddenly we see Interpol being used to arrest people accused of thought crime.

The BBC has just announced that Malaysia has deported Mr. Kashgar to face the death penalty in the paradise of Saudi Arabia.

Am I outraged? I suppose so, since my religious beliefs can stand up against Tweets and Tyranny!
--

No comments: