Search This Blog

Friday, April 25, 2014

Water Farmer Harvesting The Rain



 Water Farmer Harvests Rain...
(There's Some Ya Missed!)


Learned From a Year Without Showering
Rob Greenfield
Posted: 04/23/2014 4:23 pm EDT Updated: 04/24/2014 11:59 am EDT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-greenfield/lessons-learned-from-a-ye_b_5200734.html

As of today it has been one year since my last shower. Yes, I know that sounds crazy and a year ago I would have agreed with you. I was a regular showering guy for the first 26 years of my life. Well, maybe not every single day, but just about.

So how does a regular showering guy end up going 365 days and counting without taking a shower? It started with a long bike ride across America to promote sustainability and eco-friendly living. I set a bunch of rules for myself to follow to lead by example. The rule for water was that I could only harvest it from natural sources such as lakes, rivers and rain or from wasted sources such as leaky faucets. And I kept track of exactly how much I used too, with an aim of showing just how little we need to get by...



Mr. Greenfield seemed to be always by a lake or reservoir or stream or creek or rill or a leaky faucet, where he could either immerse himself or "harvest" water.
I'm not sure I like this use of "harvest". I mean, "harvest" always meant gathering in the autumn the fruits of long arduous work in spring and summer, not some adventitious stumbling upon something.

I think this is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read recently, and that includes articles about gun anarchists and Sean Hannity.
It seems like an excuse to show off his buff body to earth mother type chicks. There is too much beefcake. If he had taken showers like normal people, he would not have to caper for nude selfies.

He does make some points that I concur with:
But I learned that by living naturally I didn't need cosmetic products anymore. I just used some soap, toothpaste and essential oils and found that to work real well. This compared to previously using colognes, deodorant, shampoo, lotions and all sorts of other products full of chemicals. And guess what? I had no lack of friends!
Personally, I think it is sufficient to say that those colognes, deodorants, etc., are filled with the most atrocious chemical scents. I am sure you have probably experienced the anguish of working out at the gym in proximity to someone who thinks themselves in need of large doses of scent that make you gag.
And this includes laundry detergents. I have had to throw away clothes my mother had washed, merely because I could not get rid of the "fresh sunshine" smell of her laundry soap.

He adds some agenda (things to do):
-Flush the toilet less often.
-Take shorter showers or turn off the water while you're soaping up and scrubbing down.
-Wash clothes less and in full loads
-Turn off the faucet
-Wash the dishes efficiently.
-Install water efficient showerheads and toilets.
-Get your leaks fixed.
-Grow food not lawns.
-Harvest rain.

Good luck on that first one and getting me to visit your place... your digs are probably a cosmetic and olfactory disaster.

And you collect rain, you don't harvest it. I suppose if you had a biplane and ran a crop dusting and rain cloud seeding  operation you could harvest rain.

And I did start taking Navy showers (the second item in the list) about 3 months ago, so I can't argue there.

--

No comments: