Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shakespearean Ironies

She-who-must-be-obeyed spoke of a gentleman who is not very chummy with me. Two years ago I was at a Christmas party, and was speaking with him about, oh, I don't know, politics, ethics, God...one of my usual topics that render my prey glassy-eyed...when someone about 20 miles away said something about hunting, whereupon said gentleman debouched from the toxic ground-zero around me and scurried like a vole to the more attractive clime of gun talk. Let it not be said that I bear grudges. However, my wife said that so-and-so was out with the ROMEOS that morning. So I grunted the universal husband code acknowledging receipt of incoming message, meanwhile forming an ungodly image in my scandalized mind of this guy going around with a bunch of similar red-faced, beer swilling antiquities, making amorous advances on silver haired molls. Here wife waits. Husband notices this apprehension, so to say, a holding of the conversational breath, wife obviously expecting something other than the universal receipt grunt. Somehow, this ROMEO thing is more important than I thought, and furthermore - damn its eyes! - requires some sort of the old blah-blah-blah before I may safely return to what I was doing. "You know what the ROMEOS are, don't you?" she asks with the iron tongue in velvet ....velvet...velvet tongue warmer. Think, fool! I say to myself, for she waits the chance to pounce upon my failing memory as some sort of conquering Alzheimer's moment. "No.", I say. "What are ROMEOS?" "His group. Retired Old Men Eating Out." I winced. "I assume that means they are infesting a neighborhood eatery en masse?" She smiled and nodded. Her smile meant some connivance or some treachery somewhere. It was as if she disdained my group of jolly roisterers - The Greybeards - and esteemed this pack of ROMEOS. I spoke after a short while. "I shall form my own group and confront them." , I said. "I shall form a group called TYBALTS." So far, all I have is The Young Bucks.... for the acronym, but that is a decidedly good start

1 comment:

Montag said...

Good.
However, the "s" in "tybalts" is superfluous, being merely the mark of the plural, so we must re-cast it into something like:

...aching to be liberated totally

and leave it at that.

Unfortunately, that has a valley girl ring to it.

The absolutely important thing, however, is to goad the old ROMEO geezers into a food fight.