Search This Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tracker Brothers Trucking Company

I realize it is hard to believe that I may mix up two films as different from each other as El Topo and Tampopo, but I do, and quite easily.
How, I hear you say, does the actor Topol escape from the memorious stew you serve in your Dreamcatcher-like storage unit of past events? (this is the sentence wherein the Borgesian hint of the title of this post is hidden.) I regret to say that Chaim Topol does not escape unscathed, for I own a pair of Teva sandals. By the normal course of events, these Tevas became Tevyes, Tevye being the character Topol portrayed in Fiddler on the Roof. Since Sholem Aleichem's original story was "Tevye der Milchiger", or" Tevye the Milkman", they also answer to the name Milkman Shoes or Milchigerschuhen, as in "Where the deuce did I put my milkman shoes?" or "Wo sind die milchigerschuhen?" My wife actually understands this sort of dialect I speak. So much for Wittgenstein's musings on whether or not there may exist a private language. The answer is yes! ...and no. depends...

No comments: