Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

All or Nothing

I am reading about the future of oil exploration and deep drilling. New technologies and new understanding of the geologies involved. It is overwhelming and ricochet of new facts and new data make my head spin, and I am in awe just as back when I was new to science fiction.
It is as awe-inspiring as science fiction, and to my primitive mind, it is - like Arthur Clark says - seemingly magic and wizardry
It manages, however, to ignore the dark side of the old stories, such as the exhaustion of the earth after everything has been drilled, or the loss of the ability to sustain the high technology as society fights against greater impacts - such as adverse climate change.

There is always a downside. Only the money guys pretend it does not exist, but we know it does. Always evaluate the up side and the down side.

No comments: