Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Way

All these years I've heard of women named "Hooda" and it never dawned on me what the name meant until the other day at the bank when the lady said she had a sister named "Noor", just Noor. If she had been Muslim, she might have been named Nor al Hooda possibly... and it popped into my head "Oh! Light of the right path!".
Hooda means path or way, but it is also a religious term indicating the Right Way or path.

Thinking along these lines and a post I had the other day, I remembered when Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life."
I feel the word "truth" is used in an inclusionary sense - incorporating all things - rather than an exclusionary sense that sets some things outside. Certainly St. Paul's take on it suggests so.

Exclusionary truth eliminates things; we end up with one winner, one truth teller. Inclusionary truth is like Harry Truman's poker games which widened everyone's chances of winning.

No comments: